FYEX 1000 - First Year Experience (1 Credit)
This course introduces students to the behaviors, skills, and attitudes that are important to success in college. It is required for new students but transfer students completing 15 semester hours are exempt. In this class you will learn:
- An overview of how to utilize college resources and services.
- How to succeed as a college student preparing for a career.
- Learn the attributes necessary for personal and academic success.
- Overview of academic programs offered at Lakeland Community College.
- Each student will receive an individualized plan outlining a potential Completion Plan for your major, transfer or individualized course of study at Lakeland.
COUN 1300 - Skills for College Success (2 Credits)
This course is especially recommended adults returning to college, and students experiencing academic difficulties. The course helps students to utilize more of their potential and to succeed in college. Students will be introduced to strategies for personal growth coupled with skills such as:
- Time management
- Critical thinking
- Test taking strategies
- How to study and read a textbook
- Students will develop an individualized plan for college success
COUN 1100 - Career Exploration (3 Credits)
This course is recommended for students who are undecided about their career choice and those who have not declared a program of study. Students will:
- Develop career planning skills.
- Complete career assessment inventories (interest/personality, skills and abilities, work values, decision making styles).
- Learn how to use sources of occupational information.
- Identify tentative career options.
- Develop and implement decision-making strategies and techniques.
COUN 1200 - Employment Strategy (2 credits)
This course introduces students to effective strategies for job search and preparation. Students will identify and develop skills in:
- Preparing resumes
- Job applications, and cover letters
- Locating hidden job markets
- Negotiating salary
- Networking; and interviewing